As The month of October begins, i want all of us to pay attention to the rising numbers of breast cancer throughout the entire world. A lot of people do not now the symptoms of breast cancer( or that it does not cancer women only as men can also get it), neither do they even know how to conduct self breast cancer checks.
What is breast cancer?
Breast cancer is a malignant tumor (a collection of cancer cells) arising from the cells of the breast. Although breast cancer predominantly occurs in women it can also affect men.
Symptoms of breast cancer:
Initially, breast cancer may not cause any symptoms. A lump may be too small for you to feel or to cause any unusual changes you can notice on your own. Often, an abnormal area turns up on a screening mammogram (x-ray of the breast), which leads to further testing.
According to the American Cancer Society, any of the following unusual changes in the breast can be a symptom of breast cancer:
- swelling of all or part of the breast
- skin irritation or dimpling
- breast pain
- nipple pain or the nipple turning inward
- redness, scaliness, or thickening of the nipple or breast skin
- a nipple discharge other than breast milk
- a lump in the underarm area
Even though these are symptoms of breast cancer, they sometimes just turn out to be a less serious condition like a cyst. It is important to go and see a doctor if you see any of these signs.
Facts about breast cancer:
- Breast cancer is the most common cancer among women.
- One in every eight women develops breast cancer.
- There are many types of breast cancer that differ in their capability of spreading (metastasizing) to other body tissues.
- The causes of breast cancer are not yet fully known although a number of risk factors have been identified.
- There are many different types of breast cancer.
- Breast cancer is diagnosed with physician and self-examination of the breasts, mammography, ultrasound testing, and biopsy.
- Treatment of breast cancer depends on the type of cancer and its stage (the extent of spread in the body).
Breast Cancer Self Exam
As a woman you need to do the self exam below at least every morning in order to make sure that all is right.
Lets all be aware this month and try to teach as many people as we can!
To learn more about breast cancer please do go to these websites